Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Name is Yoon: U1W5 Poem and Activity


This week we are reading My Name is Yoon, therefore, I will be sending the letter below home with each child.  My classroom is like a mini-UN...so I cannot wait to see what they come up with!

Dear Parents:
This upcoming week, your child will be reading about a little girl named Yoon.  The name of the story is My Name is Yoon and it was written by Helen Recorvits and illustrated by Gabi Swiatkowska

Yoon and her family moved to the United States from Korea. She isn’t sure she wants to learn to write in English, as she loves the ‘dancing figures’ of Korean letters. Her name means ‘Shining Wisdom’ when written in Korean. She feels it will be different if written in English, even though her father assures her it will have the same meaning. Eventually Yoon learns that she is the same, no matter where she is, or how she writes her name.

The poem this week is called “Languages My Neighbors Speak.”  Your child will need to bring in items that represent their culture.  These items will be used for scrapbooking in their poetry journal, therefore, make sure it is something that they will be able to glue into their journal.  Items can be pictures from native country, small flags, money, etc, (anything that represents their culture).  Please put these items in a small ziplock and send in to school with your child.  They must bring it to school by Thursday, 9/29/11.
See picture below for an idea:


Just a reminder that you can download any of the poems that are featured on this blog here:

For more 2nd Grade Treasures Resources:







Just 4 Teachers

2 comments:

luckeyfrog said... [Reply]

I am loving your poetry journal. I'm not keeping it all in a notebook because I want the kids to take it home each weekend, so we're also not doing your activities, but the poems themselves have been great.

Each week we echo read the poem, choral read the poem, highlight the poem (either rhyming words, or words with a pattern we are studying), do some activity (usually writing a few lines of our own following the same pattern), and then practicing with a partner and letting a few groups perform it.

This week, since my school is really diverse and we have a lot of kids that speak other languages, we made a class version of the poem! ("The boy named John speaks German.") The kids loved it and it was a great way to celebrate our diversity! Thanks so much for sharing this resource.

Fitbecky said... [Reply]

Thanks for all the great poetry ideas! I gave you the I Heart Your Blog Award.
Becky
http://ep2ndgraderocks.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!