Saturday, March 24, 2012

Unit 5 Week 1 Dig, Wait, Listen Poem and Activity

U5W1 Dig, Wait, Listen: A Desert Toad's Tale

Under the sand, a spadefoot toad waits for the sound of rain. She remains in her burrow as creatures, including peccaries, a rattlesnake, and a kangaroo rat, pass above her but finally emerges to lay her eggs when the distinctive patter of rain begins. Clear, often lovely watercolors illustrate the creature's wait, the desert animals, and the brief time the toad and tadpoles spend on the desert floor after the rain. The nature lesson is propelled by frequent sound effects and the palpable need for rain. 

This week I had the kiddies draw a desert habitat (either night time or day time) and I gave them a coloring sheet of a spade foot toad.  They worked real hard creating their desert habitat.  I was impressed by those who added a puddle of water, etc.


Just a reminder that you can download any of the poems that are featured on this blog here (Click on the journal):





Just 4 Teachers
Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd - TeachersPayTeachers.com

1 comments:

lilz said... [Reply]

Hi I really like your blog it's great. It is very inspirational.It is so good that all my friends should see it. Could you please look at my blog at
lilz.edublogs.org/
See you soon, Lilz :)

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!