Saturday, April 21, 2012

Poetry Friday and my New Collection

I love POETRY!!!
Are your students getting enough poetry??  No?  Well, what are you doing on Friday?

After a week full of learning new skills, reinforcing old skills, and reviewing the old and the new...and then testing those new and old skills on Friday...not only do students need a break, but so do you.  
This poem that I found in Kathleen Hollenbeck's book says it all for me...

Teachers reach for poetry,
and lessons come alive,
illuminating history
and how to count to five,
describing common feelings
or sharing silly tales,
identifying elephants,
exploring ants and whales.
No matter what the topic,
how stately or absurd,
when teachers reach for poetry,
they know they will be heard.

I make time for poetry...and I make it mean something.  My students connect to the poem.  It's just an extension of what they've learned all week, but through the eyes of poetry.  Maybe it's all because of my passion for poetry, but my students share the same passion and they've begun to share their own ideas with me when I am planning their Poetry Fridays.   Give it a try.  
Still need convincing, check out this article:

I hope I got you thinking about using a Poetry Journal in the classroom.  Something to think about while you plan for the new school year.  Thank you for following!!  I love sharing my love and passion for poetry.  :)

Well, I've put another amazing poetry collection for the months of May-July.  Check out my TpT store by clicking on the picture below:



Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen”~ DaVinci
Just 4 Teachers
Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd - TeachersPayTeachers.com

5 comments:

Jessica said... [Reply]

Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower! Stop by and visit me...

learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

Sara S. said... [Reply]

Just found your blog! I use poetry books in my classroom and my kids love them! They get a new poem for their book every Monday and their poetry book stays in their book bag. They will get to take it home at the end of the year. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Sara :)
Smiling In Second Grade

Jill said... [Reply]

Hi! I love to share ideas, I will be your newest follower after school.

Please visit if you have minute.
jill at bubbalulu.blogspot.com Tales from Second

Maria said... [Reply]

I found you on Pinterest and I am so glad to discover your blog. I'm your newest follower. Stop by sometime!

Maria
Kinder-Craze

Kim said... [Reply]

I love your poetry packs! For me, teaching poetry is hard, this is definitely going to help, so thank you very much! I'm now your newest follower, won't you come and be mine...


Kim
http://gradeonedoodlebugs-kim.blogspot.ca/

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!