Sunday, September 30, 2012

Treasure Chest for Novel Souvenirs!

My students and I just finished reading Mr. Popper's Penguins and I wanted to make it a unique experience for them.  I've been wanting to try doing storybook souvenirs that I've read about over at Schroeder Page, a year ago.  Well, I've read everything on the topic (plus I've been saving these containers that I thought would make something great).  I sent a letter to the parents explaining what a story book (novel, in my case) souvenir is and what I expect from the students.  See the letter below that I adapted for my class:  


Dear Families,

Your child is bringing home a white plastic container to decorate.  Help them be creative!  Let your child have fun.  Please make their name part of the decoration, too.

This container will act as a treasure chest (which they will keep in class) for souvenirs based on the novels we will read this year in class together. 

What are Souvenirs?
Souvenirs help stories come alive and increase the excitement of sharing literature with others. Souvenirs are concrete memories or reminders of stories we have read in class. The item might be a button, a bell, a feather, or some other kind of trinket that would relate to the story.  Children can use them to re-tell and talk about stories they have heard.  The ability to re-tell a story is an important reading skill and helps children develop stronger comprehension and memory skills. 
Students will present their souvenir to the class and discuss the reason they chose this particular item to help them remember the story.  The important thing to remember about souvenir items is that they should be small enough to fit in their treasure chest and inexpensive. 

Activity
Your child must choose a souvenir that will help them remember their favorite part (or character) of the story, (for example: Book: Harry Potter Souvenir: wizard hat eraser).   Students will be graded based on preparedness and oral presentation. 

They will be given a Novel Response Sheet to help them prepare for their oral presentation.  The response sheet must be written by the student and turned in by given due date to the teacher. 

Grade for Souvenir presented:  25 pts.
Grade for Novel Response Sheet: 25 pts.
Grade for Oral Presentation of Souvenir: 50 pts. = 100 points/A


Learn more by visiting www.schroederpage.blogspot.com!

Well, they had a week to turn their containers into Treasure Chests.  Here are the results.  See pics:





I will post pictures of their first souvenir for Mr. Popper's Penguins.  I can't wait to see what they come up with.  
Thanks for stopping by!!



Just 4 Teachers
Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd - TeachersPayTeachers.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!